Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dongji-winter solstice-Happy Winter:D

As a medical student, I have long forgotten fearing the ghosts and evil spirits.The last time I got seriously felt haunted was when I was in my second year's second semester.One day during the cadaver dissection, my curiosity made me open the covered face of the cadaver.I cannot tell you nights after that.Nightmares made me wake up at the night, my stair-phobia came back, sometimes I just couldn't go to sleep, my heart pounded adding up the pressures of studies I had then.Time is the healer, I don't remember when I started to felt better.
December 21st is also called winter solstice.Scientifically its all about position of sun and the angular distance,making it longer nights and shorter days however all cultures have its own interpretations.Its celebrated as Dongji in China,Korea and some oriental countries.Its believed that on this cold night the ghosts and evils come out, that why in the past people believed to return home earlier, ate foods that could scare the spirits away and burnt things.
When science collides with myths, there is a chaos existing in my mind.However its interesting to know cultures.Also its a feeling that there are far too less knowledge and information I know before criticizing about it.After all the Hindu dashain we celebrate has also celebrated as victory of goodness over the evils.At the end of the day, goodness and positivity is what every religion wants to cultivate in us.Some ignorant Human's just misinterpret it.Nearly 2500 years ago "Dhamma=Dharma" meant "law of nature",like it was law or Dharma of mango tree to give mangoes not oranges......now we cannot interpret it without adding Hindu, buddha, sikh, jews etc...

As for now for all my blog readers, I wish you a happy winter.I also hope on this winter solstice scares all evils away from our mind.Hope we find the positive energy that can bring ultimate peace in us.

Wear enough warm clothes, eat well, take enough rest,exercise....specially boost up your immunity to fight this modern evils obesity and pollutants.
~aza aza~

1 comment:

Basanta said...

I didn't know China had such myths about winter solstice. Shame on me, even after living in China for 5 years:)
Yesterday evening, there was some news on a TV channel about some 'devotees' going to a specific hot-bath spring on this occasion. I didn't care much, but it means there is some belief about this day her too.